General Program RequirementsPlease note courses at Ottawa are subject to change
Each year, WCL selects up to three (3) students for the program. Students complete the first two (2) years of law school at WCL, followed by two (2) years at the University of Ottawa (UO).
- At WCL:
- Students must complete at least 59 credits before going abroad, including all WCL/ABA required courses (Upper Level Writing, Professional Skills, and any others implemented); we recommend that students complete at least 62 credits before going abroad
- Students must meet WCL residency requirements
- At University of Ottawa:
- WCL students must remain in the top fifty (50) percent of their class at UO.
- Credits: students must complete a minimum of 60 credits at Ottawa.
- Required Courses (subject to change at the discretion of the university):
- Orientation to the Canadian Legal System
- Criminal Law and Procedure
- Public Law and Legislation
- Constitutional Law
- Civil Procedure I
- Administrative Law
- Business Organizations or Special Course in Business law
- Mediation Theory and Practice or Alternative Dispute Resolution Process
- Constitutional Law II
- One course that satisfies the oral advocacy requirement
- One course that fulfills the major paper requirement
- Optional law courses
Grades from abroad will appear on your WCL transcript only as Pass/Fail. Passing grades do not affect your WCL grade point average. However, failing grades will be factored into your grade point average as a zero.
Grades from the University of Ottawa will be reported on your Ottawa transcript which you may need to provide to potential employers or to the state board of bar examiners.